Contractors, subcontractors, developers and design professionals work with Liam Malone when they want to ensure a timely resolution to a sensitive construction litigation issue. Whether representing a plaintiff or defendant in a construction litigation matter, Liam’s strategy is the same – ensure a resolution that efficiently meets his clients’ needs. Liam has a track record of success handling complex civil litigation matters, including vigorous prosecutions of construction claims in the courtroom and fair settlements out of court. With a reputation for putting in the extra work and using creative problem solving, he is committed to achieving outcomes in his client’s best interest.
Liam’s successes include representing a design team alleged to be responsible for delays to a $600M hospital project. After an intensive year of litigation and multiple rounds of mediation, which included a comprehensive presentation of its defenses, the matter settled for less than 20 percent of the original demand. He also represented the architect of record on a $10 million commercial cold-storage construction project. After being brought into the case six months from trial, Liam succeeded in resolving the case for less than an architect’s $5,000 statutory reporting requirement under California law in the face of a seven-figure damages claim. Liam has helped contractors on private and public projects recover multiple seven-figures on delay claims, differing site conditions, and uncompensated extra work.
Liam assists his clients with transactional legal matters as well as litigation, including contract negotiation and risk management. An accomplished speaker, he has presented on a number of construction litigation topics to professional associations such as the American Council of Engineering Companies, Structural Engineering Association of Northern California and the American Institute of Architects East Bay Chapter.
Publications & Presentations
- Author, “Getting Your Priorities Straight: Managing the Effects of the Defense Priority Allocation System,” Procurement Playbook, November 20, 2018
- Author, “Benefits and Pitfalls of Government Design-Build Project Delivery,” Procurement Playbook, August 30, 2018
- Author, “Recovery When the Government Terminates for Convenience,” Procurement Playbook, March 27, 2018
- Author, “Managing Risky Business Across US Borders,” American Society of Civil Engineers, Orange County Branch Newsletter, Spring 2015
- American Counsel of Engineering Companies
- Structural Engineering Association of Northern California
- American Institute of Architects East Bay Chapter
- Design Build Institute of America
- Association of Defense Counsel
News & Insights
- The 2020 Edition of The Legal 500 Nationally Ranks Oles Morrison’s Construction and Government Contracts Practices
- Who’s Allowing What? A County-by-County Breakdown of California’s Stay-at-Home Restrictions on Construction
- Force Majeure and Delays in the Time of COVID-19
- Oles Morrison is Ranked Among Nation’s Top Law Firms by U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
- Legal 500 Recognizes Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker’s Government Contracts Practice In 2019 National Guide
- Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker Receives Rankings In 2019 Issue Of Chambers USA Guide
- Serving Our Clients for 125 Years