Meghan Douris provides her clients – the nation and region’s leading general contractors and subcontractors – legal counsel on the diverse issues impacting their construction projects, including: differing site conditions, geotechnical engineering concerns, delay and impact claims, heavy civil construction contract claims, general business matters, construction contract issues, and risk management strategies. With experience working as Assistant General Counsel for the New York City Department of Design and Construction and certification as a LEED Green Associate, she understands the unique legal complexities in the construction industry associated with constructing heavy civil infrastructure and high-rise buildings. Clients value her ability to assess complex construction contracts and determine an appropriate and creative litigation strategy to achieve a resolution that aligns with not only the size and dollar value of the issue but the overall business goal.
Meghan also helps organizations understand and secure government contracts in the construction and service industries, including a focus on AbilityOne providers. From assisting with bid protests and helping clients to navigate the REA and Claim process, to litigating bid and size protests before the Court of Federal Claims, GAO, SBA and state/local agencies, Meghan is skilled at handling all types of government contract law issues. Most recently, she successfully defended a bid protest in the Court of Federal Claims to preserve a $100 million-dollar contract.
With a commitment to shaping the future of women in the construction industry, Meghan, along with other female attorneys at Oles Morrison, founded Women Leaders in Construction in 2012. The organization brings together women who work in all sectors of the construction industry and provides a platform for networking and professional development in what is often a male-dominated field. Membership has grown to more than 900 women from several states along the West Coast, as well as 110 firms.
Effectively pursued several Contract Disputes Act Claims on behalf of AbilityOne service contractors, including preparing Certified Claims, and pursuing litigation in the Court of Federal Claims resulting in successful settlements for the clients.
Counsel for large general contractor for heavy civil project on Navy base. Involved in preparing certified claim and facilitating ADR process resulting in determination of entitlement on 55 of 70 REAs.
Represented tunneling contractor litigation in a large bore tunnel project in pursuing a $60 million claim and defending against $150 million claim.
Counsel for subcontractor on large highway remediation project in southern California, resulting in recovery of claim against Caltrans.
Obtained a favorable settlement for a heavy civil subcontractor involving claims of defective installation of open-grade friction course paving materials.
Defended a developer against claims in excess of $30 million arising out of a large hotel construction project, attaining a reasonable settlement for the parties.
Achieved favorable pre-trial resolution for large general contractor of subcontractor claims involving large high-end Seattle apartment building.
Successfully obtained a judgment of $2.7 million on behalf of a subcontractor (and defeated a counterclaim of $10.8 million) in a three-month bench trial in King County, Washington.
Successfully obtained a judgment in arbitration for a large subcontractor for changed conditions on federal housing project, recouping 95 percent of the amount claimed and a full award of attorney fees.
Successfully defended general contractor against delay and impact claim alleged by subcontractor in two-week arbitration.
Successfully defended a bid protest in the Court of Federal Claims protecting the award of a $100 million services contract.
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, “Delay and Impact Claims,” 27th Annual Washington Construction Law Seminar, The Seminar Group, Seattle, WA, September, 23, 2020
- Presenter, “Navigating Uninsured Indemnity Obligations,” 2020 Conference on Surety Bonding and Construction Risk Management, AGC of America, Bonita Springs, FL, January 29, 2020
- Presenter, “Critical Contract Clauses,” HCSS User Group Meetings, Houston, TX, January 28, 2020
- Presenter, Javits-Wagner-O’Day Legal Symposium: Advocacy Issues for AbilityOne Contractors, 2019
- Presenter, “Critical Contract Clauses,” HCSS User Group Meetings, Houston, TX, February 5, 2019
- Presenter, Javits-Wagner-O’Day Legal Symposium: Advocacy Issues for AbilityOne Contractors, 2018
- Presenter, LEED and Federal Contracting: An Overview of LEED and How Various Federal Agencies are Using LEED to Meet the Federal Sustainability Requirements, Oles Morrison Alaska Construction Law and Government Contracting Seminar, 2012
- Presenter, LEED and Federal Contracting, Oles Morrison Federal Contracting Seminar, May 2010
- Presenter, Time & Money – Monitoring the Work, Northwest Construction Seminar, April 2010
- Co-Author, “Congress allows tax deductibility for Paycheck Protection Program expenses,” the Daily Journal of Commerce, January 14, 2021
- Co-Author, “Got a PPP loan? IRS says you can’t deduct expenses from them — at least for now,” the Daily Journal of Commerce, December 10, 2020
- Co-Author, “Washington’s “Stay At Home” Proclamation: Construction Update,” March 26, 2020
- Co-Author, “Washington’s Version of “Shelter in Place”: What it Means for the Construction Industry,” March 24, 2020
- Author, “Is LEED’s future with federal projects under threat?” Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce, February 28, 2013
- Author, “Is your LEED project a green hornet’s nest?” Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce, October 27, 2011
- Founder and Member, Women Leaders in Construction
- Member, The Beavers
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Awards & Honors
Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013 – 2016
News & Insights
- Concise Guide to Bid Protests at the U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Oles Morrison Celebrates Women in Construction Week
- Congress allows tax deductibility for Paycheck Protection Program expenses
- Got a PPP loan? IRS says you can’t deduct expenses from them — at least for now
- Oles Morrison is Ranked Among Nation’s Top Law Firms by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2021 List
- Jim Nagle and Meghan Douris to speak at the 27th Annual Washington Construction Law Conference September 22nd – 23rd
- Join Partner, Meghan Douris, for Construction for Change’s Virtual Fundraiser
- The 2020 Edition of The Legal 500 Nationally Ranks Oles Morrison’s Construction and Government Contracts Practices
- While “Some” Construction Projects may Re-Open in Washington, Much Remains Unclear
- Washington’s “Stay At Home” Proclamation: Construction Update
- Washington’s Version of “Shelter in Place”: What it Means for the Construction Industry
- COVID-19 and Impacts on Construction
- Oles Morrison and Women Leaders in Construction Celebrate Women in Construction Week
- Meghan Douris was quoted in Law360 regarding the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent refusal to review a Veterans Affairs decision
- Tom Krider and Meghan Douris to present at the AGC’s 2020 Conference on Surety Bonding and Construction Risk Management January 29
- Oles Morrison is Ranked Among Nation’s Top Law Firms by U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
- Legal 500 Recognizes Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker’s Government Contracts Practice In 2019 National Guide
- Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker Receives Rankings In 2019 Issue Of Chambers USA Guide
- Oles Morrison hosts a Women in Construction Week Happy Hour
- Oles Morrison is Ranked Among Nation’s Top Law Firms by U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
- Serving Our Clients for 125 Years
- Oles Morrison and Clark Construction to host Women Leaders in Construction at their annual spring event
- Women Leaders in Construction Summer Social June 15
- Meghan Douris and Jim Nagle to Present at NCMA Columbia Basin
- Northern California Super Lawyers Recognizes Rob Leslie
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Six Oles Morrison Attorneys
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Nine Oles Morrison Attorneys
- Attorney Meghan A. Douris is Named Partner
- Oles Morrison to Host Women Leaders in Construction
- Women Leaders in Construction Gather at Oles Morrison
- Five Oles Morrison Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers Lists
- Is LEED’s future with federal projects under threat?
- Meghan Douris Presenting “Risk – A Lawyers View on Sustainable Projects” at CMAA Seminar
- 2012 Alaska Construction Law and Government Contracting Seminars
- Oles Morrison Presents: The Road to Green – LEED & Green Building Seminar November 3, 2011
- Meghan Douris for Seattle DJC: Is your LEED project a green hornet’s nest?
- Meghan Douris to Address CFMA Puget Sound on the Legal Implications of Document Imaging
- LEEDING THE WAY: Federal contracting & green building take common path.