Mike Schmidt advises contractors on government and commercial contracts and litigation matters. Contractors and subcontractors rely on him for guidance on a wide array of contract issues, including bid and proposal efforts, drafting and negotiating terms and conditions, FAR and DFARS compliance, and pre-litigation dispute resolution.
Mike has served as a litigation consultant to a federal agency involving multimillion-dollar claims. He has also advised on FAR and DFARS rights in technical data and software on government contracts. His work includes intricate Contract Disputes Act (CDA) claim issues.
An experienced litigator, Mike has represented clients in complex litigation in Federal and State courts throughout California and Washington, including multiple federal RICO actions; numerous declaratory relief actions on insurance coverage, a Miller Act bond recovery dispute involving federal construction project; and numerous disputes on state public works projects. Recently, Mike successfully litigated a contract dispute between a prime and subcontractor under a multi-year IDIQ contract for the Federal government.
Mike actively supports the Associated General Contractors of America’s NAVFAC committee addressing issues raised by contractors on Navy projects.
Mike’s contracts experience also affords him the opportunity to serve as pro bono legal counsel to Construction for Change (CFC), a non-profit organization that provides construction management to under-resourced communities.
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, “The Ugly Truth About Certificates of Insurance, Additional Insured and Waivers of Subrogation,” 2020 Annual Conference, AGC of Alaska, November 13, 2020
- Presenter, “New Developments in Construction Law,” Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants, October 30, 2020
- Co-Author, “Bidding on Public Projects: The Calculated Risks of Unbalanced Bids,” The Alaska Contractor, Fall 2020
- Presenter, “The New Normal: Real Estate in the COVID Era,” The Registry, September 17, 2020
- Presenter, “Insurance: Business Interruption, Extra Expense, and Liability Coverage for Insureds Facing Losses Associated with COVID-19,” Moving Alaska Forward in the Age of COVID, AGC of Alaska/Alaska PTAC, Webinar, July 15, 2020.
- Co-Author, “Alaska Supreme Court Decision Underscore Importance of Carefully Following Contract Claim Provisions,” The Alaska Contractor, Summer 2020
- Presenter, “Recent Developments in Construction Law,” 2019 CFMA & WSCPA Construction Industry Conference, Seattle, WA, November 12, 2019
- Co-Author, “Trump’s Buy American Hire American Executive Order Impacts Contractors,” The Alaska Contractor, Winter 2018
- Author, “Investor Protection in Europe and the United States: The Impact on the Future of Hedge Funds,” Wisconsin International Law Journal, Vol. 25, p. 16, Spring 2007
- Washington State Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Wisconsin
News & Insights
- Oles Morrison is Ranked Among Nation’s Top Law Firms by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2021 List
- Mike Schmidt will present at the Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants on October 30th.
- Bidding on Public Projects: the Calculated Risks of Unbalanced Bids
- Mike Schmidt and Wiley Cason authored an article on unbalanced bids for The Alaska Contractor’s Fall edition
- ICYMI: The New Normal: Real Estate in the COVID Era
- Join Oles Morrison Partners Angelia Wesch, Michael Schmidt and Mark Fox of Flinn Ferguson on Sept 17th for “The New Normal: Real Estate in the COVID Era”
- Webinar: Business Interruption, Extra Expense, and Liability Coverage for Insureds Facing Losses Associated with COVID-19
- The 2020 Edition of The Legal 500 Nationally Ranks Oles Morrison’s Construction and Government Contracts Practices
- Join Us for Moving Alaska Forward in the Age of COVID-19 Webinar Series
- President Trump Answers Small Business’ Prayers; Signs CARES Act with Payroll Protection Program
- Washington’s Version of “Shelter in Place”: What it Means for the Construction Industry
- Am I Covered? Business Interruption and Extra Expense Coverage for Clients Facing Losses Associated with Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- COVID-19 and Impacts on Construction
- Oles Morrison is Ranked Among Nation’s Top Law Firms by U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
- Legal 500 Recognizes Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker’s Government Contracts Practice In 2019 National Guide
- Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker Receives Rankings In 2019 Issue Of Chambers USA Guide
- Serving Our Clients for 125 Years
- Trump’s Buy American Hire American Executive Order Impacts Contractors
- Oles Morrison Welcomes Three New Attorneys