Mike Schmidt advises contractors on government and commercial contracts, insurance coverage issues, and litigation matters. Contractors and subcontractors rely on him for guidance on a wide array of contract questions, including bid and proposal efforts, drafting terms and conditions, FAR compliance, and pre-litigation dispute resolution. Mike also frequently advises clients on bond and insurance coverage and recovery in the construction industry.
An experienced litigator, Mike has represented clients in complex litigation throughout California and Washington, including: multiple federal RICO actions representing insurance carriers in actions to recover damages on alleged multi-faceted false insurance recovery schemes; numerous declaratory relief actions on insurance coverage, a Miller Act bond recovery dispute involving federal construction project; and tunneling disputes on state public works projects.
A subset of Mike’s practice focuses on legal fees disputes. Mike has extensive experience in legal fee auditing and fee allocation, including litigating disputes over legal fees as damages.
Mike’s contracts experience also affords him the opportunity to serve as pro bono legal counsel to Construction for Change (CFC), a non-profit organization that provides construction management to under-resourced communities.
Publications & Presentations
- Co-Author, “Trump’s Buy American Hire American Executive Order Impacts Contractors,” The Alaska Contractor, Winter 2018
- Author, “Investor Protection in Europe and the United States: The Impact on the Future of Hedge Funds,” Wisconsin International Law Journal, Vol. 25, p. 16, Spring 2007
- Washington State Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Wisconsin
News & Insights
- Legal 500 Recognizes Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker’s Government Contracts Practice In 2019 National Guide
- Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker Receives Rankings In 2019 Issue Of Chambers USA Guide
- Serving Our Clients for 125 Years
- Trump’s Buy American Hire American Executive Order Impacts Contractors
- Oles Morrison Welcomes Three New Attorneys