Mike Schmidt advises contractors on government and commercial contracts and litigation matters. Contractors and subcontractors rely on him for guidance on a wide array of contract issues, including bid and proposal efforts, drafting and negotiating terms and conditions, FAR and DFARS compliance, and pre-litigation dispute resolution.
Mike has served as a litigation consultant to a federal agency involving multimillion-dollar claims. He has also advised on FAR and DFARS rights in technical data and software on government contracts. His work includes intricate Contract Disputes Act (CDA) claim issues.
An experienced litigator, Mike has represented clients in complex litigation in Federal and State courts throughout California and Washington, including multiple federal RICO actions; numerous declaratory relief actions on insurance coverage, a Miller Act bond recovery dispute involving federal construction project; and numerous disputes on state public works projects. Recently, Mike successfully litigated a contract dispute between a prime and subcontractor under a multi-year IDIQ contract for the Federal government.
Mike actively supports the Associated General Contractors of America’s NAVFAC committee addressing issues raised by contractors on Navy projects.
Mike’s contracts experience also affords him the opportunity to serve as pro bono legal counsel to Construction for Change (CFC), a non-profit organization that provides construction management to under-resourced communities.
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, “Recent Developments in Construction Law,” 2019 CFMA & WSCPA Construction Industry Conference, Seattle, WA, November 12, 2019
- Co-Author, “Trump’s Buy American Hire American Executive Order Impacts Contractors,” The Alaska Contractor, Winter 2018
- Author, “Investor Protection in Europe and the United States: The Impact on the Future of Hedge Funds,” Wisconsin International Law Journal, Vol. 25, p. 16, Spring 2007
- Washington State Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Wisconsin
News & Insights
- Webinar: Business Interruption, Extra Expense, and Liability Coverage for Insureds Facing Losses Associated with COVID-19
- The 2020 Edition of The Legal 500 Nationally Ranks Oles Morrison’s Construction and Government Contracts Practices
- Join Us for Moving Alaska Forward in the Age of COVID-19 Webinar Series
- President Trump Answers Small Business’ Prayers; Signs CARES Act with Payroll Protection Program
- Washington’s Version of “Shelter in Place”: What it Means for the Construction Industry
- Am I Covered? Business Interruption and Extra Expense Coverage for Clients Facing Losses Associated with Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- COVID-19 and Impacts on Construction
- Oles Morrison is Ranked Among Nation’s Top Law Firms by U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
- Legal 500 Recognizes Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker’s Government Contracts Practice In 2019 National Guide
- Oles Morrison Rinker & Baker Receives Rankings In 2019 Issue Of Chambers USA Guide
- Serving Our Clients for 125 Years
- Trump’s Buy American Hire American Executive Order Impacts Contractors
- Oles Morrison Welcomes Three New Attorneys